Although Graach is just a stone’s throw away from Bernkastel, the clocks seem to tick differently here: Graach is contemplative, placid, and is located at the foot of the imposing steep slopes, which is only separated from the Mosel River by the riparian plains. With these vineyards, we have a treasure that has no equal. In a south-to-southwest exposition, the grapes grown on these steep slopes have sun throughout the day. The deep, weathered clayey slate soil, together with the rather cool climate of the Mosel, and the perfect sunlight, is a paradise for Riesling. Numerous water veins in the hillside guarantee an optimal water supply. No wonder that everything is still planted seamlessly here.
The Romans already knew the benefits of Graach’s sites and cultivated vines here. In the Prussian classification of the Mosel vineyards from 1816 to 1832, Graach’s vineyards had the highest ratings. As a consequence, our sites have been already classified as “Grand Crus” during that time.
As one can see by the names of the sites even today, the Catholic Church was the primary owner of the Graacher vineyards till secularization in 1803.
Overall, we cultivate 4.7 hectares. A bit more than two of them are located in Graacher Dompropst and the same in Graacher Himmelreich, as well as 0.25 hectares in Wehlener Sonnenuhr.
This does not mean, however, that we only have three plots. The continual divided inheritance of vineyard land over generations has resulted in a parceling out of small allotments, so that our 4.7 hectars are divided into more than 40 numbered parcels. Some parcels are side by side; others are not. Thus the effortful handwork which is demanded by the steep slopes anyway is accompanied by the fact that our vineyard properties are located in many different parts of the Graach and Wehlen hillsides.
But we love to take this daily challenge, as each area of the slopes has its different character.